Dillian Whyte vs Alexander Povetkin 2: Rematch postponed as Russian hospitalised with coronavirus, Eddie Hearn raises prospect of Tyson Fury fight

1 month ago 1

Dillian Whyte’s rematch with Alexander Povetkin has been postponed after the Russian tested positive for coronavirus.

Matchroom announced on Tuesday that the heavyweight fight, originally scheduled for November 21, will now have to take place at a later date.

Povetkin’s rematch with Whyte has been postponed for a third timeMark Robinson/Matchroom

Whyte was set to seek revenge for a devastating fifth-round knockout defeat against Povetkin back in August.

A new target date has been set for January 30, 2021, with a further announcement on Matchroom’s November 21 show expected shortly.

Eddie Hearn, Whyte’s promoter, said on the news: “Unfortunately we got the news today that Alexander Povetkin is in hospital after testing positive for COVID-19.

“The fight will now be rescheduled to a target date of 30 January. An announcement on our 21 November show will be made shortly.”

He added: “Firstly we want to wish Alexander Povetkin a speedy recovery. This is a challenging time for shows.

UPDATE ℹ Alexander Povetkin has tested positive for COVID-19… #PovetkinWhyte2 is postponed with a new target date of Jan 30 2021.

A further announcement on our Nov 21 show will be made shortly. pic.twitter.com/I8ghShA8ei

— Matchroom Boxing (@MatchroomBoxing) November 3, 2020

“There will be lots of ups and downs over the next few months. We look forward to the fight happening in late January.”

Hearn later teased the prospect on Twitter of his man facing Tyson Fury instead, and confirmed in an Instagram Live on his personal account that Whyte wants to fight Fury.

“We would accept that fight,” he said. “We would have to talk about numbers but Dillian Whyte would love to fight Tyson Fury on December 5. We would love to do that.”

The ‘Gypsy King’ last month moved on from plans for a trilogy fight with Deontay Wilder, stating that their contract enforcing the bout had expired.

Fury is due to make the first defence of his WBC heavyweight world title against Agit Kabayel on December 5 at the Royal Albert Hall in London.

Dillian Whyte v Tyson Fury anyone? 🤔

— Eddie Hearn (@EddieHearn) November 3, 2020

Read Entire Article