Eddie Hearn confirms Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury fight ‘almost 100%’ goes ahead in 2021, but Gypsy King will NOT be at Joshua vs Pulev this weekend

2 weeks ago 1

The biggest fight of Anthony Joshua’s career so far is upon him this weekend as he takes on Kubrat Pulev in London.

Every fight is your biggest fight when you’re the world heavyweight champion and your belts are at stake, but the promise of facing Tyson Fury in a domestic showdown for the undisputed heavyweight title if he wins makes the stakes as big as they could possibly be.

Anthony Joshua takes on Kubrat Pulev at the SSE Arena in Wembley this weekendMark Robinson/Matchroom

It’s long been claimed Joshua and Fury have tentatively agreed a two-fight deal for 2021, with just dates and venues to be selected.

Speaking ahead of Joshua’s first outing in over 12 months, AJ’s promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed the Fury deal is all but done.

“I am as close to 100 per cent as I can be that the Fury fight will happen if AJ wins on Saturday,” said Hearn ahead of the SSE Arena showdown.

“All we’ve got to do is win and I don’t know if that is why AJ is a bit edgy.

“Is he trying to make himself edgy to make sure he is switched on in the fight? Maybe against [Andy] Ruiz in the first fight he wasn’t edgy but I think he has really invested his time in improving since that Ruiz fight and he really wants to show those improvements.”

Joshua is ready to return to the ring on Saturday nightInstagram @anthonyjoshua

Should Joshua win, it clears the way for the Fury fight. The Gypsy King did originally plan a UK homecoming on December 5, but the bout fell through and he’ll not box for the remainder of the year.

Hearn hopes that should AJ win, Fury won’t need a warm-up fight and they can move straight to the historic showdown.

“I’ve mentioned it to their team,” added Hearn. “If Tyson has a warm-up fight, we’ll fight Usyk and then everything gets… there is no reason for a warm-up fight.

“He boxed in February and he does not have the style where he needs a warm-up fight. It will be straight in and I think he is happy with that.”

Quick update, I will not be attending any boxing this weekend. 👍pic.twitter.com/9njUsMHvPe

— TYSON FURY (@Tyson_Fury) December 9, 2020

Hearn also mentioned he has invited Fury to come watch Joshua vs Pulev this weekend, but the Gypsy King posted a video on Twitter last night rejecting the offer.

“Just a quick one guys, I will not be attending any boxing this weekend,” said Fury. “So for all the rumours going around that I’m going to be attending some boxing, I will not be.

“Don’t expect fireworks, don’t expect any action from the Gypsy King because I’ll be grafting. I’ll be working as usual. Always staying fit and ready.”

How to follow live coverage of Anthony Joshua vs Kubrat Pulev HERE

 

Read Entire Article