'Is that an error?': Shock move stuns

2 weeks ago 5

The Melbourne Renegades have claimed a thumping eight wicket win over the Perth Scorchers in Hobart but the big winner may still be Shaun Marsh.

With the Australian top order copping injury after injury, Marsh has emerged as the man seemingly in the box seat to play for Australia if Joe Burns’ dire form continues.

The ONLY place to watch every match of the 2020/21 KFC BBL Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play is on Fox Cricket, available on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your free trial now & start streaming instantly >

Burns may be the incumbent but he has been in horrific form this summer.

His most recent scores in the first-class format are 12, 7, 29, 0, 10, 11, 4, 0 and 0. He has averaged 7.63 with the bat this summer and has yet to bat in the second innings at the SCG against India for Australia A.

Marcus Harris has been drafted into the Australian squad after Will Pucovski was officially ruled out of calculations for the first Test.

But the burning question has been who will take over Burns’ spot if he is dropped for the day-night Test against India.

Despite having been a regular in and out of the Australian squad, the injury crisis has appeared to open the door for Marsh.

Having been left out of the Australian and Australia A squads, Marsh put his best foot forward in the BBL opener for the Melbourne Renegades against the Perth Scorchers.

A bully in the first game of the season, Marsh smashed 62 off 47 balls before being bowled by Jhye Richardson with the scores level in the seventeenth over.

Ominous, Swamp. Ominous #GETONRED https://t.co/PpqSUSJ4w1

— Melbourne Renegades (@RenegadesBBL) December 12, 2020

It also comes on the back of irresistible Sheffield Shield form, pummelling 485 runs at an average of 97 with three centuries and a fifty in six innings.

He was just 10 runs behind Pucovski’s tally before the break, although he did it in just three innings.

Aussie coach Justin Langer also has his back.

“You never discriminate against age. He’s doing everything possible,” Langer told 7NEWS Perth’s Ryan Daniels on Friday.

“His numbers in Sheffield Shield cricket – not only this year but the back end of last year – were absolutely elite.

“There’s no more popular player in the Australian cricket team than Shaun, maybe his brother (Mitch) actually.

“It’s an incredible family, the Marsh family, they’re much loved within the team.”

If this was an audition, Marsh did all he could to get the job, especially with injury carnage all around him.

But Brett Lee and Brad Haddin agreed it was time to move on from the 37-year-old.

“I think Shaun Marsh’s time is done,” Haddin said. “I think the theatre around it sounds great, he started the Sheffield Shield season in fine form, and he’s started well tonight. But he’s 37 years of age, I think you’ve got to move on.  I think everyone wants him to play again for Australia because he’s such a good person. But I think we’ve got to look at someone else.”

Lee agreed: “I think you’re spot on there. The hardest thing for me is that when he is on, he’s so good to watch. But he’s had his opportunity, he’s had his chances, and it’s probably injury that’s let him down rather than form.”

The Scorchers were ambushed, falling to 3/19 off three overs and despite attempts at a rescue mission, limped to 130 before being bowled out with five balls to spare.

Marsh ensured the chase was successful with a 70-run stand at the top of the order to set up the victory.

Updates

Andrew McMurtry

You know you've had a bad night with the bat when your number seven both faces the most balls and top scores in a T20.

Aaron Hardie hit 33 off 36 to stabilise the innings.

After going 3/19, then 7/90, it was the late hitting from Hardie and Andrew Tye that got 130 on the board before the Scorchers were bowled out in the final over.

Josh Lalor and Kane Richardson ended with three wickets each, while Peter Hatzoglou took 2/29 off his four overs.

Colin Munro, the New Zealand import for the Scorchers, lasted just three balls before charging a yorker and being bowled for a duck.

"A few of the boys said they didn't think it was the easiest to bat on but I don't think it was a 130 pitch," he said early in the second innings. "I think we let ourselves down."

It looked about right with Aaron Finch and Shaun Marsh getting the Renegades off to a flyer.

Andrew McMurtry

The Perth Scorchers were highly touted before the season started but their batting order is already in disarray, losing three wickets from as many overs.

3/19 off three overs, it brings Ashton Turner and Mitch Marsh to the crease with lots of time to go.

"Clarke falls and they're three-fa," Andy Maher said in commentary.

"Diabolical start."

"It really was a nothing shot," Damien Fleming agreed. "He was probably just going to get one for it and a lot of risk involved and it's led to his dismissal."

The Renegades bowlers have been on song, forcing the early strikes.

Earlier Josh Inglis has been caught after trying to pull off one leg, while import Colin Munro yorked himself by charging Josh Lalor for a duck.

Andrew McMurtry

The Renegades and the Scorchers in Hobart is about to kick off after the Stars and Thunder but a curveball has been thrown on the team sheets.

Mitchell Marsh was praised for his captaincy in 2019/20 but he wasn't named as the skipper for the first game of the season with Ashton Turner taking over the C.

"Just on those team sheets, the Renegades and Scorchers, I just noticed Ashton Turner with the C next to his name – Mitch Marsh is playing," Adam Gilchrist said.

Mark Waugh said: "Is that an error?"

"I've been told they signed the team sheet and it's correct," Gilchrist confirmed.

Turner won the toss and was particularly casual about it.

“I didn’t mind either way," he said as he chose to bat.

— KFC Big Bash League (@BBL) December 12, 2020

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Read Entire Article