Philippines orders evacuation as world's strongest 2020 typhoon approaches

1 month ago 8
World

Philippines orders evacuation as world's strongest 2020 typhoon approaches

Philippine officials on Saturday ordered the evacuation of thousands of residents in the southern part of the main Luzon island as a Category 5 storm that is the world's strongest this year approaches the Southeast Asian nation.

Typhoon Goni will bring intense rains over the capital and 14 provinces

Members of the Philippine Coast Guard carry a child as residents are evacuated to safer ground in Camarines Sur province, eastern Philippines, on Saturday. (Philippine Coast Guard/The Associated Press)

Philippine officials on Saturday ordered the evacuation of thousands of residents in the southern part of the main Luzon island as a category 5 storm that is the world's strongest this year approaches the Southeast Asian nation.

Typhoon Goni, with 215 km/h sustained winds and gusts of up to 265 km/h, will make landfall on Sunday as the strongest typhoon to hit the Philippines since Haiyan that killed more than 6,300 people in November 2013.

Pre-emptive evacuations have started in coastal and landslide-prone communities in the provinces of Camarines Norte and Camarines Sur, while the Albay provincial government would order residents in risky areas to leave their homes, Gremil Naz, a local disaster official, told DZBB radio station. "The strength of this typhoon is no joke."

Typhoon Molave last week killed 22 people, mostly through drowning in provinces south of the capital Manila, which is also in the projected path of Goni, the 18th tropical storm in the country.

Authorities are facing another hurdle as physical distancing needs to be imposed in evacuation centres to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. The Philippines has the second-highest COVID-19 infections and deaths in Southeast Asia, next only to Indonesia.

Relief goods, heavy machinery and personal protective equipment are already positioned in key areas, Filipino Grace America, mayor of Infanta town in Quezon province, told DZBB radio. "But because of the COVID-19 pandemic, our funds for calamity concerns and expenses are insufficient."

Typhoon Goni is moving westward from the Pacific Ocean, taking aim at 14 provinces in the Philippines. (National Weather Service Ocean Prediction Center/Twitter)

Local officials cancelled port operations and barred fishers from setting sail.

Typhoon Goni, moving westward at 20 km/h from the Pacific Ocean, will bring intense rains over the capital and 14 provinces nearby on Saturday evening, and threats of floods and landslides.

Another typhoon, Atsani, is gaining strength just outside the Philippines. Around 20 typhoons hit the Philippines every year.

Read Entire Article