The damage bill from the massive Halloween hailstorms that pelted southeast Queensland has neared $200 million.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the Insurance Council of Australia confirmed more than 17,000 claims had been received, with losses estimated at $195 million.
Giant hail completely destroyed cars and homes in and around Brisbane in what the insurance council called a “catastrophe”. Springfield, in the city’s west, was among the hardest hit regions.
Many residents are awaiting repairs, as emergency services continue to clean up the region after what the RACQ described as the “worst hail damage” since 2014.
Spokeswoman Lucinda Ross said that the storm had left the most damage since a freak storm six years ago which resulted in a damage bill in excess of $1 billion.
“The worst of our damage, according to our claims, is in Springfield, Rosewood, Greenbank and Boronia Heights,” she said.
On Monday, the RACQ warned of the second disaster that could strike – disaster chasers.
RACQ’s Renee Smith said within 48 hours, door knockers had already hit the areas worst hit, seeking to exploit residents.
“We’ve already begun to receive reports from members of individuals and groups preying on those who’ve already suffered enough,” Ms Smith said.
“Disaster chasers target homeowners who’ve experienced severe damage and may offer immediate repairs or inspections in exchange for cash or for you signing a contract of work.
“Some disaster chasers may mislead you to believe they work for your insurance company or will promise your insurance company will reimburse the costs … However this may not happen and the homeowner could be out of pocket thousands of dollars.”
Disaster chasers are also targeting owners of damaged vehicles, with both RACQ and ICAUS stating they had received reports of tow truck operators approaching homes where severely damaged cars are visible and offering to tow them for repairs.
The insurance council took to Twitter to warn “you could be hit with huge fees to get your car back” if someone was to fall for a ploy.
The RACQ told those with damaged property to lodge their claim as soon as possible.
“If you believe you may have been the victim of a disaster chaser contact your insurance company as soon as possible,” Ms Smith said.
In an attempt to help those worst hit, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced a host of emergency grants.
Emergency Hardship Assistance grants of up to $900 per family are available, with a number of other grants available.
“Once again we’ve been reminded of the dangers of storm season,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“This money can help with essentials like food and clothing.
“The damage this storm did is absolutely shocking, and I know every little bit helps.”

English (United States)