Fire crews on Fraser Island have welcomed a brief wet reprieve but say the fight is not over as they plan for the worst but “hope for the best”.
Crews are hesitant to say the combination of rain and firefighting has brought the blaze, which has been burning for nearly eight weeks, under control.
“It doesn’t take much, a lightning strike or some embers could reignite,” Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) director Brian Cox said.
“Fraser is such a unique environment … We are taking every precaution, planning for the worst but hoping for the best.”
After multiple evacuation orders for the township of Happy Valley on the eastern side of the island, a combination of water bombing and firefighting efforts on the ground spared the dozens of houses from incineration.
Mr Cox said the 25mm of rain recorded on the island on Monday night was the “news crews have been waiting for” as the fire burns for its seventh week.
And there’s a chance there’s more where that came from with the Bureau of Meteorology forecasting more rain on Tuesday, with a moderate to fresh southeasterly change expected to move over Fraser Island late Tuesday night.
“I’d like it to keep coming. Our crews were working until midnight last night, but after the rain we were able to bring them back for a bit of rest,” Mr Cox told ABC radio on Tuesday.
“We were also able to steer the fire around the town of Happy Valley. We had 19 aircraft, including two large tankers, to bomb the north of the town as the fire came bearing down.
“By 4pm on Monday the fire was impacting Yidney. We used the same techniques.”
As of Tuesday morning, the fire is about 400 metres north of the small commune of The Oaks, where there are a handful of homes. A “prepare to leave” warning is in place for the settlement.
“We’re trying to get aircraft up on Tuesday morning to protect that small settlement,” Mr Cox said.
“We will continue to fight it as it moves slightly south.”
As at 9pm on Monday night, a QFES alert advised residents that conditions could worsen and properties could be in harm’s way.
Bushfire warnings remain in place for Kingfisher Bay.
Police on Tuesday morning revoked the Public Safety Preservation Act declared earlier in the week.
“While conditions have eased, the community are advised to continue to monitor conditions and take advice from emergency services on the ground,” a Queensland police statement said.

English (United States)